All delegates are expected to:
- Prepare for the conference by researching their respective country and topic in advance and writing at least one position paper if in a standard committee.
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct and Dress Code.
- Listen to and follow any instructions from conference staff, who can be identified by their name-tags.
- Actively participate in the committee’s debate, including but not limited to making speeches, caucusing, proposing resolutions and amendments, and voting.
- Listen attentively and respectively during Opening and Closing ceremonies.
The Houston Area Model United Nations Conference will acknowledge delegations that do an exceptional job of representing their country. Although HAMUN provides awards, this recognition should not be construed as the primary purpose of attending a Model UN conference. To be considered for an award in a Standard Committee at HAMUN, a delegate must have submitted two position papers if in a standard committee, or one position paper if in a crisis committee unless your committee page specifies otherwise. Depending on the size of the committee, the following awards will be given out during Closing Ceremonies:
- Best Delegate — to one delegate who demonstrates excellence in representation and performance in a single committee. This is the highest award offered in every committee.
- Outstanding Delegate — to one who demonstrates outstanding and notable performance in committee.
- Honorable Mentions — to acknowledge up to two delegates in each committee (depending on size) deserving of recognition for their performance.
- Best Position Paper — to one delegate in each committee that writes the best position paper, as judged by the Dias of that committee according to the criteria described in the position paper instructions.